Distance Training in
Classical Adlerian Depth Psychotherapy:
Child and Family Therapy
Instructor: Henry T. Stein, Ph.D.
||To understand the reciprocal life style dynamics of an entire family. To learn the strategies and techniques for working with children, parents, and families. To develop preventative educational programs for parents and teachers.
||Selected published articles and unpublished manuscripts on child and family therapy, by Alfred Adler, Alexander Mueller, and Sophia de Vries. Handouts from the five-day master seminar.
||Adlerian Family Therapy: A Psychology for Democratic Living, a five-day master seminar conducted by Henry Stein. (Thirty hours)
||Comments and questions.
||Five hours of telephone conferencing.
||Approximately five to ten weeks.
||Prerequisite: Courses DT101, DT102A, DT102B, DT201, DT301, DT302A, DT302B
Outline of Course Content
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT FOR DEMOCRATIC LIVING
- Adlerian philosophy and democratic values.
- Early influences: prenatal, birth, organ inferiority, child's creative power, type of intelligence, parental attitudes, sibling constellation, religion, culture, school experience.
- New situations, tasks, and difficulties at life stages of infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, old age.
- Roots of discouragement. Levels of functioning: optimal, normal, limited, pathological.
- Creating democratic climates at home and school.>
- FAMILY DIAGNOSTIC, HOME VISIT, AND SCHOOL CONSULTATION
- Interview strategies for each family member.
- Written questionnaires to expand information.
- Home visit: preparation, guided tour by child, family meeting.
- Playing with and testing the child. Consulting with teachers and school counselors.
- Classroom and playground observation.
- Psychological testing and medical consultations.
- Information analysis of individual and family dynamics.
- Presenting treatment recommendations to parents. Case illustrations.
- STAGES AND TECHNIQUES OF ADLERIAN FAMILY THERAPY
- Working with the child. Talking at child's level.
- Playing to enhance contact, cooperation, expression, and learning. Use of drawing, stories, and role-playing.
- Working with parents. Overcoming life style influence on parenting and practicing new attitudes.
- Working with family unit: resolving conflict between child and each family member, meeting with family as a group to acknowledge individual and relationship improvements.
- Role-played demonstrations.
- TOYS AND MATERIALS FOR TESTING AND TEACHING
- Charlotte Bühler's "World Test": administration and interpretation.
- Hand puppets: sources; symbolism of figures; techniques for eliciting contact, information, catharsis, cooperation, and empathy.
- Doll's house: family figures, free play, questions to verify impressions.
- Overview of other materials: Bene-Anthony "Family Relations Test," "Three Questions," "Educational Apperception Test," "Fantasy Island," "Bühler Developmental Test."
- Using plants and animals.
- EDUCATION FOR PREVENTION: WORKSHOPS FOR CHILDREN, PARENTS, AND TEACHERS
- Recommendations for program design and material.
- Alfred Adler's, Alexander Müller's, and Anthony Bruck's principles of child guidance.
- Basic Parent & Child Workshops: principles of empathy, insight, encouragement, cooperation, conflict resolution, consequences, and mutual respect.
- Advanced Parent Workshops: Dealing with dysfunctional parenting styles, role-playing for practicing strategies, creating support networks.
- Realizing the ideals of democratic living.
REGISTRATION FOR: DISTANCE TRAINING IN CLASSICAL ADLERIAN DEPTH PSYCHOTHERAPY
CHILD AND FAMILY THERAPY - DT304
(Please print this form, fill it out, and mail it with your course fee.)
City:___________________State:___________ Zip:________ Country:__________
Home Tel:__________________________ Bus.Tel:______________________________
Tuition Enclosed: ___________ (payable to "Henry T. Stein, Ph.D.")
Mail to: Alfred Adler Institute of Northwestern Washington
2565 Mayflower Lane
Bellingham, WA 98226
Information: Call Henry T. Stein, Ph.D.
Use the "Buy Now" link below to order with a credit card(via PayPal).
Distance Training Course: DT304 - Child & Family Therapy